Pengaruh Parenting Stress terhadap Harga Diri Orangtua di JABODETABEK

  • Lita Patricia Lunanta 08161933638
  • Andi Rina Hatta Universitas Esa Unggul
  • Veronica Kristiyani Universitas Esa Unggul
  • Srifianti Srifianti Universitas Esa Unggul
Keywords: parenting stress, self-esteem, middle childhood

Abstract

Situations that parents handle affect how they parent their children and this will affect how
their children develop later on. The aim of this research is to analyze how parenting stress
affects other factors in parent’s psychological condition, especially in their self-esteem. This
research was held to parents with middle school children who live in JABODETABEK with
241 participants. The scale that was used to measure parenting stress is the one that Berry and
Jones (1995) developed and to measure self-esteem is The Coopersmith Self-Esteem Inventory
that was developed by Ryden (1978). This research used a quantitative descriptive method to
describe parenting stress and self-esteem of participants and used simple regression analysis
to measure how parenting stress affects self-esteem of middle school children’s parents. From
the statistical analysis it was found that parenting stress contributed negatively (t (241) = -
7.330, p <0.005) to self-esteem of parents with middle school age children in JABODETABEK.
The higher the parenting stress the lower self-esteem becomes. Parenting stress contributed 18
percent to self-esteem that means the remaining 82 percent of a parent's self-esteem was
determined by other factors.

Author Biographies

Andi Rina Hatta, Universitas Esa Unggul

Fakultas Psikologi

 

Veronica Kristiyani, Universitas Esa Unggul

Fakultas Psikologi

Srifianti Srifianti, Universitas Esa Unggul

Fakultas Psikologi

References

Ajilchi, B., Kargar F R., Ghoreishi, M. (2013). Relationship between the Parenting Styles of Overstressed Mothers with their Children's Self-esteem, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 82, Pages 496-501, ISSN 1877-0428, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.06.299.
Asnita, L., Arneliwati, & Jumaini. (2015). Hubungan Harga Diri dengan Tingkat Stress Remaja di Lembaga Permasyarakatan. JOM Vol 2 no. 2. https://media.neliti.com/media/publications/187312-ID-hubungan-tingkat-stres-dengan-harga-diri.pdf
Baker, B. L., McIntyre, L. L., Blacher, J., Crnic, K., Edelbrock, C., & Low, C. (2003). Pre‐school children with and without developmental delay: behaviour problems and parenting stress over time. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 47(4‐5), 217-230.
Berry, J, O., & Jones, W, H. (1995). The parental stress scale : Initial psychometric evidence. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 12(3), 463-472.
Bigner, J. (1994). Parent-Child Relations: An Introduction to Parenting, 4th Edition. NJ, USA: Prentice Hall.
Biswas, S., Moghaddam, N., & Tickle, A. (2015). What are the factors that influence parental stress when caring for a child with an intellectual disability? A critical literature review. International Journal of Developmental Disabilities, 61(3), 127-146.

Coopersmith, S. (1981). Coopersmith Self-esteem Inventories: SEI. Consulting Psychologists Press.
Cooper, C.E, McLanahan, S.S, Meadows, S.O, Brooks-Gunn, J. (2009). Family
structure transitions and maternal parenting stress. Journal of Marriage and
Family, 71(3), 558-574

Deater-Deckard, K. (2004). Parenting Stress. London : Yale University Press
Gravetter, F. J., & Forzano, L, B. (2012). Research methods for the behavioral science. USA: Wadsworth.
Hastings, R. P., Daley, D., Burns, C., & Beck, A. (2006). Maternal distress and expressed emotion: Cross-sectional and longitudinal relationships with behavior problems of children with intellectual disabilities. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 111(1), 48-61
Koswara, E, 1991. Teori - teori kepribadian, Bandung : PT. Eresco.
Mardina, R. (2018).Kekerasan Terhadap Anak dan Remaja. InfoDatin: Pusat Data dan Informasi Kementrian Kesehatan Indonesia. ISSN 2442- 7659. Lihat: http://www.kemkes.go.id/download.php?file=download/pusdatin/infodatin/Kekerasan-terhadap-anak.pdf
Pinandita, V. (2020). Kekerasan pada Anak Tak Menurun. Lihat: https://lokadata.id/artikel/2020-kekerasan-pada-anak-tak-menurun, diakses Maret 9, 2020.
Potard, Catherine. (2017). Self-Esteem Inventory (Coopersmith). 10.1007/978-3-319-28099-8_81-1.. Lihat: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316979253_Self-Esteem_Inventory_Coopersmith/link/5c4983b9a6fdccd6b5c44a51/download
Ryan, C.E., Epstein, N.B., Keitner, G.I., Miller, I.W., & Bishop, D.S., (2005). Evaluating & Treating Families : The Mc.Master Approach. New York: Routledge
Ryden, M. B. (1978). An adult version of the Coopersmith Self Esteem Inventory: Test-retest
reliability and social desirability. Psychological Reports 43:1189–1190. Copyright © 1978 Muriel Ryden.
Published
2021-06-18
Section
Articles
Abstract viewed = 0 times
PDF downloaded = 0 times